Monday, May 31, 2010

Looking for answers.

Until now I have only thought of questions and descriptions of how I have felt. I understand that my personal feelings and experiences can create empathy and understanding of my future English language-learning students, but I need answers. How can I translate those experiences into a teaching strategy? How can I overcome the temptation to simply focus on the language barrier rather than harness the intellect and experiences of English language learners to benefit their education and the entire class? How can I move beyond the individual component parts and challenges and capture the essence of the learning moments that all too often slip away in the confusion of the classroom?

Ayrton Senna, the late formula 1 driver once commented that in a formula 1 car that there is a sembiance between driver and machine and balancing all your skills and training with your intellect and intuition is the difference between success and failure. I think the same symbiotic relationship is critical in the classroom. A teacher teaches and learns from the students. The students can learn from each other as well, and the teacher has to balance methods and experiences with flexibility. A teacher must find that symbiotic relationship between teaching and learning.

In many of my courses I have learned the importance of making connections with students. Last semester Dr. Shankar-Brown taught me that using a variety of different pathways to literacy is essential. She emphasized relevance and connections. She emphasized context and creativity. I think one way to do that is to look beyond the language barrier and tap the experiences of my English language learners. Rather than creating the perception they are somehow stifled by their language I can turn that perceived negative into a positive. I need to create lesson plans that allow that to exchange in the classroom.

Last night I was having dinner with my host family. Mi mama y papa Tico went out to dinner and I stayed home with the kids. Their children range from 14yrs old to 21yrs old. I was not surprised by their language skills because they learn English in school, and I was impressed by the richness of their life experiences. In addition they possessed and in-depth knowledge of politics, economics, environmental issues and other critical areas of social students. As a whole they had an in-depth knowledge of world affairs and understood specific US domestic and foreign policy issues-even to the extent of quoting specific pieces of legislation.

I have also noticed in the classroom that some of the most intelligent children are from Central America. I have also personally experienced how language can trap a person into a world where one cannot share those experiences. I have noticed that the Hispanic/Latino population normally comprises 10 to 15 % of the classroom population. So if I don’t create a path to share those experiences I am not only limiting the richness of the education of my English language learners, I am also stifling the education of my English language students.

So far I have learned three specific tools I can use. Soccer, popular culture, and geography, but there are many more. To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment