Friday, May 14, 2010

Just one more thing!

I'm very interested in learning about Costa Rican government and politics. Costa Rica just elected it's first female president, Laura Chinchilla, and I'm interested in what the people of Costa Rica think about her and politics in general. Like President Obama did in 2008, she won by a significant margin and I wonder if the people have the deep divisions that Americans seem to be mired in that make real discourse difficult. Are they obsessed with the daily news cycle like we seem to be; one side always looking to gain short term advantage on the other? Or are they more focused on creating long term solutions to the problems that face the country?

I'm also interested in exploring how the banks in Costa Rica handled the financial collapse that rocked the international financial structure in 2008. Are the financial firms more regulated? I've read that Costa Rica, like all countries, has its issues with physical and fiscal infrastructure, but I want to know what the people think. I hope I get the opportunity to talk with a variety of people about these and other issues. I want to here from the affluent, the economically advantaged, and the financial middle. I hope to talk to young, old, rural, and urban Ticos to answer these questions.

Well, time to check in. Airports, its all about hurry up and wait.

Adios

Dave

1 comment:

  1. Take a couple of minutes in the early morning or in the evening to go and just sit quietly near/under the Canopy. The birds and wildlife will come to you ... these will be cherished, private moments you will never forget.

    ReplyDelete